Shared Capital Cooperative, a national CDFI loan fund, seeks an experienced Loan Officer to underwrite and originate small business and commercial real estate loans to cooperatives.
Shared Capital Cooperative is a cooperatively owned community development loan fund committed to fostering a just, equitable and democratic economy by investing in the development and growth of cooperative enterprises. As a federally certified Community Development Finance Institution (CDFI), Shared Capital provides financing for cooperatives, including worker, consumer and producer-owned businesses and housing cooperatives, especially those organized by economically marginalized communities. Shared Capital is democratically owned and governed by 250 cooperatives across 36 states. Shared Capital is a $13 million loan fund with a 40-year successful track record.
The Loan Officer is expected to deliver the following results:
- Underwrite loans to cooperative businesses in order to advance mission and goals for impact and lending, including conducting due diligence and credit analysis, preparing credit memos and presenting recommendations to staff lending team, volunteer loan committee and board of directors;
- Work with prospective borrowers throughout the loan application and borrowing process to ensure a high level of customer satisfaction and retention;
- Appropriately structure loans, negotiate terms and coordinate with local and national lending partners, including banks, credit unions and other CDFIs;
- Cultivate and manage lending opportunities to meet lending and impact goals through outreach and engagement of members, prospects, cooperative developers and partners;
- Monitor the performance of loans to track financial performance and compliance in order to support the success of the borrower and manage portfolio risk;
- When needed, manage workouts, defaults, dissolution and/or bankruptcy to support the success of the business, where possible, and to ensure the repayment of loans.
Technical Assistance and Training
- Provide technical assistance and advice to cooperative organizers, managers, and board members to help them plan for and support their long-term financial success;
- Represent Shared Capital and make public presentations about the organization, cooperative lending and finance at regional and national events and conferences;
- Develop and deliver engaging and effective workshops and presentations.
The successful candidate will have:
- Three to five years of experience in small business or commercial lending, especially with a CDFI or similar; and/or three to five years of experience in cooperative or small business operations and management;
- Strong financial aptitude and financial analysis skills;
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required; MBA, MA or comparable in management, finance, public policy or a related area, preferred;
- Proven capacity to work effectively and build respectful relationships with people of diverse cultures and backgrounds;
- Self-directed and able to effectively organize priorities and manage multiple projects;
- Collaborative and committed to working as a part of a team;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Knowledge of cooperative business models;
- Critical understanding of economic inequities in the United States and commitment to social and economic justice;
- Willingness and ability to travel regularly (approximately 10% of the time);
- Spanish language proficiency a plus;
- Exceptional customer service and interpersonal skills;
- High level of computer proficiency Windows and Office, especially Excel.
This full-time position is located in our Minneapolis-St. Paul office. Remote work may be considered.
Shared Capital Cooperative is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a diverse and an inclusive organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, prior convictions, personal credit score, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. We desire a diverse pool of applicants and particularly encourage applications from women, people of color, LGBTQ and immigrants communities.
Shared Capital offers competitive salary and generous benefits package, including employer-paid health and dental coverage, Health Savings Account, short and long-term disability, matching retirement contributions and generous Paid Time Off.
How to apply:
Submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position is open until filled.